About Bank of Toronto (Yellowknife)

Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Bank, Banks, Tourist Facilities, Other Buildings And Structures

The Bank of Toronto is a historic cabin located in Old Town, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada. The log cabin was constructed in 1939 by John Stakson an expert log builder in the commercial district of the Yellowknife community for use as a residence. In October 1944, the Bank of Toronto purchased the cabin and opened a new bank for the community, joining the Bank of Commerce (Yellowknife's first bank in 1938). The bank arrived in Yellowknife in response to new financial activity brought about by the intersection of gold in shear zones at Giant Mine and the resulting staking spree around the region. As the gold rush ended, the volume of business was insufficient to keep the bank profitable, and the Bank of Toronto closed this branch in August 1951.

Source From: Wikipedia
17, Otto Drive, Yellowknife, North Slave Region, Northwest Territories, Canada, X1A 2H2