About Black Oak Cemetery
Cemeteries, Historic, Burial Places, Interesting Places
The Black Oak Cemetery is a historic cemetery in a remote area of Washington County, Arkansas, southwest of Greenland. It is located on a knob of land at the southern end of a north-south ridge east of Miller Mountain, and is best accessed via spur road running northward from Illinois Chapel Road (County Road 20) west of Arkansas Highway 265. The 3-acre (1.2 ha) cemetery contains an estimated 300 burials, with known dates of burial ranging from 1843 to 1935. The entrance to the cemetery is marked by a pair of stone piers, and its northern extent is thought to be marked by a line of cedar trees. Some of Washington County's earliest settlers are buried in this cemetery, including its first territorial representative, John Alexander.