About Canyonside School
Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures
The Canyonside School is a schoolhouse located 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Jerome, Idaho. The lava rock building was constructed by stonemason H.T. Pugh in 1920; it was one of four stone rural schools built by Pugh. The school replaced several wooden school buildings in the area and was considered a sign of the region's agricultural prosperity, as farming in the area was profitable enough to sustain long-term investments in its educational infrastructure. The building is now used as a private home.
The school was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.