About Carlton House Terrace
Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures
Carlton House Terrace is a street in the St James's district of the City of Westminster in London. Its principal architectural feature is a pair of terraces of white stucco-faced houses on the south side of the street overlooking St. James's Park. These terraces were built on Crown land between 1827 and 1832 to overall designs by John Nash, but with detailed input by other architects including Decimus Burton. These elegant townhouses took the place of Carlton House, and the freehold still belongs to the Crown Estate.