About Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist (New York City)

Religion, Churches, Synagogues, Interesting Places, Other Churches

The former Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist, now known as the Hebrew Tabernacle of Washington Heights, is an historic domed Art Deco style building located at 551 Ft. Washington Avenue, corner of 185th Street, in the Washington Heights neighborhood of Manhattan in New York City. Designed by architects Cherry and Matz of Manhattan, it was built during the years 1929 to 1932 by Fourth Church founded in 1896 as West Side Church of Christ, Scientist, to replace its Solon Spencer Beman designed Neoclassical building at 178th Street and Fort Washington Avenue which it had sold to provide land for the George Washington Bridge. In 1973, due to the dwindling size of its congregation and increasing costs, the church sold the building to the Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation founded in 1905 in Harlem which had outgrown its 1920s building on West 161st Street between Broadway and Fort Washington Avenue. Fourth Church is no longer in existence. On August 31, 2011, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Source From: Wikipedia
801, West 185th Street, NYC, New York County, New York, United States of America, 10033

Nearest places in Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist (New York City)