About Govatos'/McVey Building
Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures
Govatos'/McVey Building is a historic commercial building located at Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware. It was built in 1895, and is a three-story, rectangular plan building of bearing wall brick construction. During the first half of the 20th century, it was converted into a restaurant, candy factory/shop by removing original storefronts along East Eighth Street. The building features large half-hexagonal pedimented copper bays on the second and third stories in the Queen Anne style. The building has housed Govatos Chocolates since 1910–1918. Govatos is the last candy making firm in Wilmington and still makes hand-dipped candy by the same method as in 1894.