About Haughton Castle
Fortifications, Historic, Monuments And Memorials, Interesting Places, Castles, Monuments
Haughton Castle is a privately owned country mansion situated to the north of the village of Humshaugh on the west bank of the North Tyne. It is some 10 km north of Hexham, Northumberland (grid reference NY918729).
It was built originally in the 13th century as a tower house, and enlarged and fortified in the 14th century. At this time the castle was owned by Gerald Widdrington and, although it was still owned by the Widdringtons in the early 14th century, the Swinburns were living in it.
By the 16th century the castle fell into disrepair and ruin and it was attacked by Border reivers. A survey of 1541 reported the roof and floors to be "decayed and gone".