About Hohe Schule, Loosdorf, Austria
Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures
The Hohe Schule (meaning: "The High School") in Loosdorf near Melk was a Protestant school open from ca. 1574 until 1627. It was built in 1574 or a few years earlier by John William of Losenstein as a private Lutheran German grammar school in Lower Austria. According to the school statutes the school was for the youth of the nobility and non-nobility. John William also restored the nearby castle 'Schallaburg' and parish church in Loosdorf in renaissance style. The Hohe Schule has a small inner courtyard and is noted for its characteristic arcades and the rib vaults in the corridors.