About Kelleys Island, Ohio
Historical Places, Historic, Interesting Places, Natural, Islands, Other Islands, Historic Settlements
Kelleys Island is both a village in Erie County, Ohio, United States, and the island which it fully occupies in Lake Erie. The British originally called it Sandusky Island. Later the United States took it over and officially designated it as Island Number 6 and Cunningham Island. It was renamed as Kelleys Island in 1840 by brothers Datus and Irad Kelley, who had purchased nearly the entire island.