About Mġarr ix-Xini Tower
Transmitter Towers, Towers, Architecture, Fortifications, Historic, Interesting Places, Other Fortifications
Mġarr ix-Xini Tower (Maltese: Torri ta' Mġarr ix-Xini) is the largest of the coastal watchtowers that the Knights of Malta erected on the island of Gozo. It watches over the entrance to the bay of Mġarr ix-Xini, limits of Għajnsielem, which lies on Gozo's south-west coast.
It was completed in 1661, and its design is similar to the De Redin towers that were commissioned by Grand Master Martin de Redin. Recently, Wirt Għawdex, a heritage NGO, restored the tower. It is now open to the public.
It is one of four surviving coastal watchtowers on Gozo, with the others being Xlendi Tower, Dwejra Tower, and Isopu Tower.