About Old Florence Water Tower
Towers, Architecture, Interesting Places, Water Towers
The Old Florence Water Tower is a historic water tower in Florence, Alabama. It was built in 1889 by the Jeter and Boardman Gas and Water Association to increase water capacity in the town, which was undergoing a boom in population. The tower has a masonry base that is 70 feet (21 m) high, 30 feet (9.1 m) in diameter, with supports tapering from 10 to 5 feet (3.0 to 1.5 m) thick. The wrought iron tank is 40 feet (12 m) in diameter, and is composed of six 5 feet (1.5 m) bands, giving a capacity of 282,000 US gallons (1,070,000 l; 235,000 imp gal). It was replaced with a new tower in 1935. The tower was listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1979 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.