About Plumb Point Lighthouse
Lighthouses, Towers, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Towers
Plumb Point Lighthouse is an active 19th century heritage lighthouse, located on the Palisadoes a narrow peninsular that connects Port Royal to the mainland. The light helps guide shipping into Kingston Harbour.
Built in 1853 it is claimed that the light at the lighthouse has gone out only once since then, during the 1907 earthquake. The 70 feet (21 m) stone and cast iron tower with lantern and gallery shows a white light visible for about 40 km (25 mi) over the entrance of the eastern navigable channel and a red light over the south channel which is visible for 20 km (12 mi).