About South Carolina National Bank of Charleston
Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Bank, Banks, Tourist Facilities, Other Buildings And Structures
One of the most important buildings on South Carolina’s oldest commercial street, the South Carolina National Bank building was built in 1817 as the Office of Discount and Deposit of the Second Bank of the United States. The bank was the only bank equipped to provide international banking services, which enabled the transfer of South Carolina rice and cotton to European markets. President Andrew Jackson later withdrew all government deposits, thereby destroying the bank. In 1836, when the Office of Discount and Deposit was liquidated, the Bank of Charleston purchased the building.