About St. Mary Historic District (Lafayette, Indiana)

Historic, Historical Places, Interesting Places, Historic Districts

St. Mary Historic District is a national historic district located at Lafayette, Tippecanoe County, Indiana. In 1864, St. Mary’s Catholic Church relocated from its original site at Fifth and Brown Streets to Columbia Street. With the move, many of the congregation also moved to this area. The Church became both a religious and social center for the neighborhood. Many of the homes date from the 1860s and 1870s and include fine examples of the Italianate, Greek Revival and Queen Anne styles as well as vernacular house types. Most of the people who built in this area were Lafayette businessmen. At 1202 Columbia Street James Ball, a local wholesale grocer left his name stamped into the front steps. Across the street is the James H. Ward House, who along with his brother, William, owned a local carpet and wallpaper business.

Source From: Wikipedia
1437, South Street, Lafayette, Tippecanoe County, Indiana, United States of America, 47901

Nearest places in St. Mary Historic District (Lafayette, Indiana)