About 2 White Street
Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures
The Gideon Tucker House, also known as 2 White Street, is an historic house at the corner of West Broadway and White Street in the TriBeCa neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City.
The Federal style house was built in 1808–09 by Gideon Tucker, who oversaw its construction and lived in the house once it was complete. Tucker was a city Alderman from the Fifth Ward, and also served as School Commissioner and the city's Commissioner of Estimates and Assessments. His Tucker & Ludlum plaster factory was located on another part of the same property. The house is a remnant of the period when the area, then known as the Lower West Side, was developing more residences.