About Church of St John The Baptist, Chilcompton
Religion, Churches, Interesting Places, Other Churches
The Anglican Church of St John The Baptist in Chilcompton, within the English county of Somerset, was built in the 15th century. It is a Grade II* listed building.
The earliest church on the site was recorded in 1188 when it was given to Wells Cathedral.
The perpendicular embattled two stage tower dates from around 1460 and contains six bells. The nave and aisles were completed in 1839 by Jesse Gane and the chancel and flanking chapels in 1897, as part of a Victorian restoration, by Frederick Bligh Bond. An enclosed modern structure links it to the adjoining parish hall.