About The Rectory, Chew Stoke
Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures
The Rectory in Chew Stoke, Somerset, England was built in 1529. It is a Grade II* listed building.
It was built in 1529 for Sir John Barry, who was the rector between 1524 and 1546 of the nearby St Andrew's Church. It has undergone substantial renovations including the addition of a clock tower for the Rev. W.P. Wait, which has since been removed and further alterations c.1876 for Rev. J. Ellershaw. The building has an ornate south front with carvings of shields bearing the coat of arms of the St Loe family, who were once chief landowners in the area, alone or impaled with arms of Fitzpane, Ancell, de la Rivere and Malet.