About Wied Musa Battery
Historic Architecture, Architecture, Interesting Places, Other Buildings And Structures
Wied Musa Battery (Maltese: Batterija ta' Wied Musa), also known as Swatar Battery (Maltese: Batterija tas-Swatar), is a former artillery battery in Marfa, limits of Mellieħa, Malta. It was built by the Order of Saint John in 1714–1716 as one of a series of coastal fortifications around the Maltese Islands.
In the 19th century, the battery was converted into the Marfa Palace Hotel, and it is also known as Palazz l-Aħmar (Red Palace). The structure was extensively modified in the process, and its blockhouse was incorporated into new buildings. Despite this, the parapet is still intact and is among the best preserved gun platforms in Malta.